Monday, April 14, 2008

A time to leave

Two weeks of lazy goodfornothingness coming to an end tomorrow. Sighh.. Home has always meant light fiction (read that as Archies, Tintins and the like). Here I tend to re-read things I read while I was at school. It goes with the whole 'home' theme. A favourite of mine is 'Captain's Island'. It is about a kid who gets to travel in the map he has made. I always end up day dreaming after reading it.

Tintin on the other hand is my inspiration to sketch. The first time I made an animation, I remember how the main character almost looked like Prof Calculus. And, I hadn't even used a reference. Nancy Drews, Hardy Boys and Sherlock Holmes are firm favourites too. Though they never led to much fascination for John Grisham and the like. Maybe also because most bestsellers these days read mostly like a screenplay than a book. Simple whodunnits are the best to enjoy a lazy afternoon with. Add a glass of cold lemon juice and a slice of chocolate cake, you have vacation heaven. What really endears these books to me are their sheer predictability.

Then there are the classics. The Austens and the Brontes and the Thomas Hardys. They are like old friends who kept you yearning for the great Victorian era. Tis a pity that I can't travel with all my books. My friend R did suggest an eBook tablet. Wonder how that would be. I wish they could make it smell like a book and make it possible to dog ear it. The possibility of having all my books with me all the time is certainly alluring. Hmm.. Should seriously look into this

No comments: