Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Book

I am agnostic; very confused about my religious inheritance and belonging. I go through these phases when I get all religious and pray twice a day and read the Bible. But lately these phases have been getting rarer and rarer. What I dont get is, what drives the religious? Is it an act of self preservation(Almost all religions preach salvation through adherence)? Is it their way of fitting in? Or is it just blind-faith? What is blind-faith then? Why do some have it while some dont? I wish I could get ready-made answers for these without having to think about it.

The past three days, I have had to attend sermons by a Bishop who is a childhood friend of my dad's. My dad has told me stories of how the Bishop knew where his inclination lay since childhood. He was apparently a man of ardent faith. He is a great man the Bishop. I had the opportunity to interact with him and found him to be a man who automatically commands respect. During one of the sermons, he talked about the Bible being one of the most influential books of his life. That made me think. And, the more I thought, I realised that the Bible has been a very influential book in my life too. When I was a kid, my mom used to make me internalise verses. Even now, in times of trouble and confusion, I tend to fall back on those verses. I wonder if that makes me non-agnostic. I dont know. To find out, I guess, I will just have to keep thinking.

1 comment:

Ranjan said...

hey sherene,
from now on i will keep your blog as a referral ...you know to decide which books to read/not read. Well written blog...what impressed me most is the language...which is very much the way you speak.