Sunday, June 22, 2008

If

.......
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
.......
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!
-Rudyard Kipling

My fav eight lines from the poem. This was recommended to me by someone who was once a very close friend. We parted quite bitterly and abruptly. These lines helped me through that episode. The written word can be so powerful. They can take you from the heights of happiness to the depths of depression through a single phrase.

I have just got back from church and its raining outside, making the internet my refuge. Its been an interesting weekend and I am sad to see it go.

No comments: